16 July 2008

Encouragement

I'm so encouraged from yesterday. It's rare that I get one blog comment, and I got TWO, and both from people who didn't chastise me for running off the deep end. So, thank you Hannah and dragonflyducky. Your comments mean a lot to me!

In the interest of historical documentation, here are the changes that have started to take place:

1. Canceled Directv. We have it until the 9th of August, but after that, it's gone. In a way, it's a bit sad. I do like the music channels on further up the end of the channel, and we'll all know I'll miss Keith Olbermann, but in another way, it's really wonderful feeling. We both made a point to not to turn it on yesterday (except to peek to see if Keith O was back, but he wasn't, so it was turned off again.).

2. I sat down on Sunday evening and actually planned a week's worth of meals. Taking into account what we got in our CSA box, I planned out the following:

Monday - Eggplant Curry, Wild Rice, Pita
Tuesday - Falafel Burgers, Whole Wheat Couscous Salad
Wednesday - Herbed Tofu, Vegetable Tian, Green Salad
Thursday - Sundried Tomato Pasta, Green Salad, Homemade Garlic Bread
Friday - Homemade Pizza
Saturday - BBQ Seitan w/ Veggies, Green Beans, Green Salad
Sunday - Vegetable Fajitas

I've planned it so that on the busiest days (like today, for instance), the meal would be ready with minimal effort. Because I had extra time yesterday, I slow cooked the tian so when we get home tonight, we can warm it up in a couple of minutes. Tonight before bed, I'll throw bread in the bread machine and it'll be ready when I wake up for Thursday's dinner. This Sunday, once I see our CSA box on Saturday, I'll be ready to sit back down and plan out another week's dinner.

3. I've reopened the book "Your Money or Your Life" that I nabbed at the first Free Market I went to. At the time, even, I found it as an omen for things to come. I started reading it once before, but this time, I intend to make it past the first chapter.

4. I am making the commitment to be less active with swaps. I love them, I do, but I can't keep doing them at this point. I've got one more that I know I'm obligated to be a part of, but I will be phasing the rest out as we go. I'll still do personal swaps and I will probably still be active in Shop the Swap, but I need to really give myself more boundaries.


I feel like that's quite a list for so early in the morning. As I actually need to be leaving for work, I should end this here for now. I'm going to start looking for part-time work doing something that I don't have to take home with me and something that doesn't leave me feeling so exhausted. If anyone in the area knows of anything, please keep me in mind. In the meantime, I'll probably be at work thinking of a different life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on canceling your TV. Sometimes I feel like I should do that...in college I hardly ever watched TV because it just wasn't available on a regular basis. And good job on the menu planning...my SO and I have started planning our meals before we go grocery shopping and it has really helped us shop smarter. Also...I <3 homemade pizza! It's the best for using up random ingredients.

-Katie (iftimeexists on the Ravelry Fiber Swap)

Chad Johnston said...

i always think i should cancel the cable but i can't...and i would go down to basic, but then i only have three non commercial channels and no more classic movies...yeah...i suck..but you..rock..!
cheers,
chad
ps...for a spicy homemade pizza, add a little bit of red hot your sauce..not too much..just a bit for a bite..it's very yummers..

Anonymous said...

Okay, that menu: *droooooool*